Skip to content Skip to navigation

Global Initiatives in Oral & Craniofacial Health

International Travel - Pre-departure General Information

Applies to Students, Faculty, and Staff


It is important to thoroughly research and prepare for each desired destination country. All requirements must be completed.
BASIC – Resources - International Travel
Travel Checklist: The Council on Global Engagement has prepared two checklists for travel, one for individuals traveling abroad and the other for Faculty / Staff / Graduate Students leading groups of students.
Travel Planning Book: Off-Campus Travel (U-M) is a book with diverse information, ranging from finances, to health, to a suggested pre-departure timeline.
Country Specific Information: The Country Specific Information (Department of State) website includes information about alerts, documentation requirements, health, and additional resources.
BASIC– Requirements - International Travel Minimum Time Required
Passport: Using the Department of State, obtain passports well in advance and ensure they are valid for six months after the expected return. 3-6 weeks
Visa and/or Letter of Affiliation: Most countries require an entrance visa that must be stamped within passports. Some require a visa for research or internships which may take weeks or months to obtain. A letter of affiliation may be needed from the institution or sponsoring organization in the destination country. Check Country Specific Information (Department of State) and the destination country’s nearest embassy or consulate website for Visa requirements. 1 day to 6 weeks


Individuals should be familiar with current information on health precautions, as well as management of potential issues that may arise. All requirements must be completed.
HEALTH – Resources - International Travel
Universal resources:
Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Water safety Mental Health, Sexual Health, Mental and/or Physical Disability
Country specific resources include:
Health – Requirements - International Travel Minimum Time Needed
Immunizations and Health Services: The Travel Health Services (U-M) website has information on immunizations and services provided to University affiliated individuals through the University Health Service. Complete country-specific immunizations are required. 6-8 weeks
Health Insurance: Students, faculty, and staff from all U-M campuses who travel abroad for education-related purposes must be covered by Travel Abroad Health Insurance (U-M). Additionally, this coverage is offered to these individuals during their personal international travel (although it is not required). Dependents may also take advantage of this service while traveling with U-M individuals for university-related purposes or personal travel. The insurance is often much more cost effective than private options. This service costs up to $1.10/day travel plus a $5 administrative fee (but is free to faculty and staff on university-business. 1 week

Safety and Security

The safety and security of all travel should be considered, both general and specific aspects (such as activities, lodging, and transportation). All requirements must be completed.
Safety and Security – Resources – International Travel
Safety and Security – Requirements – International Travel Minimum
Time Needed
  • Trip Registration and Emergency Communication: Travel Registry (U-M) for trip registration and emergency communication.
1 week
  • Safety Plan: Safety Plan (U-M) is an effective tool where emergency contact numbers and health and safety information should be organized to be easily accessible during travel. If a desired destination is a University Travel Warning or Restriction Destination, the plan must be submitted to ITOC for review and approval.
If required: 3 weeks
Safe Computing – Resources – International Travel
For additional details, see the Safe Computing Webpage (UM).
Phone: Evaluate options for cell phone use overseas, and verify arrangements will work at destination countries. Alternative options include purchasing a local SIM card or a local calling cards.
Home Link: Travelers should give parents/guardians or another responsible adult information about program arrangements, emergency communication plans and the U-M administrator contact. Those trusted individuals should also have photocopy of the traveler’s passport page, visa, and ticket information.
Data Security: Keep personal and University-owned data secure while traveling. The Office of Information and Technology Services provides Data Security Tips for smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc.
Computer Registration: If travelers are taking personal equipment overseas and would like to make sure they will not have to pay duty on it upon return to the U.S., register the equipment with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This can be done by completing a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad, CBP Form 4457, at the closest port of entry. In Ann Arbor, that is Detroit Metro Airport.
Immediately Before Departure Tips – Resources – International Travel
Emergency Wallet Card: Travelers may also complete the Emergency Wallet Card to access key information while traveling.
Important Documents: Important documents (such as passports or flight tickets) should be kept on the traveler at all times. As additional security, photocopies of important records should be stored in a separate bag from where originals are kept.
Accessing Money Overseas: All travelers should have sufficient spending money available in the form of cash, traveler’s checks, ATM and/or credit cards. Travelers should check with their bank and credit card companies to see if their credit and debit cards will work in all destination countries. Alert the companies of the anticipated countries of travel. Travelers should make sure their credit cards have sufficient available credit to cover unexpected expenses.