Skip to content Skip to navigation

International Outreach

U-M Outreach

The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving, and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.

The University is engaged around the world through the educational activities, research, and service of its students, faculty, and staff. The international efforts of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry are encompassed within its Global Initiative Program.

Yvonne Kapila, DDS, PhD

Director of Global Oral Health Initiative
Yvonne Kapila, DDS, PhD

Assistant: Jean Klark

Dentistry Programs

Some members of the U-M Dentistry community choose to participate in international programs, including:

U-M Programs

Programs led by the University of Michigan

Interested in School-Related Travel?

The University of Michigan School of Dentistry has established a protocol and compiled resources to aid students, faculty, and staff who are traveling. For trips that are affiliated with the University of Michigan or trips that are education-related, there are pre-departure requirements. Individuals planning leisure travel can also benefit from following the same protocol, and are encouraged to do so.

Safety and health are the most important components of successful travels. This webpage has information for domestic and international travel to help students, faculty, and staff.

   Domestic Travel

   International Travel

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is UMSoD’s travel policy?

Travel Policy

Q: What should I do if I am interested in traveling abroad?

Follow this website, as it is designed to help UMSoD students, faculty, and staff plan their international travel. It is divided into General Information (applicable to all UMSoD members) as well as Specific Information (additional information for students, faculty/staff, group leaders, and researchers). Also, use your discretion in consulting additional resources beyond this website.

Q: What is “education-related” travel?

This includes travel that is through a Sponsored Student Organization(such as UMSoD led programs) or through a Voluntary Student Organization (such as student led programs). Examples include, but are not limited to: dental aid trips, research, internships/externships, conferences, research, presentations, and teaching.

Q: What is a “UMSoD Led Program”?

A UMSoD Led Program is a program coordinated by a Sponsored Student Organization (SSO). A SSO is a recognized student organization that has a substantial and formal relationship with a sponsoring University unit and exists pursuant to the guidelines established by the appropriate campus division of student affairs. An SSO must be sponsored by an executive officer, dean, or director of a major academic or operational unit and must have a mission that is consistent with the missions of the University and sponsoring unit. A sponsorship agreement between the student organization and the sponsoring University unit must be on file with the appropriate campus student activities office.

Q: What is a “Student Led Program”?

A Student Led Program is a program coordinated by a Voluntary Student Organization (VSO). A VSO is a recognized student organization that exists pursuant to the guidelines established by the appropriate campus division of student affairs. A VSO has access to certain University-controlled benefits and resources and is accountable to the University for legal compliance, fiscal responsibility, and adherence to established community standards.

Q: I have an idea for a new international trip that could be affiliated with the UMSoD. What should I do?

First, thoroughly read General Resources and Requirements as well as Specific Group Leader Resources and Requirements. Check the Global Michigan Interactive map for existing programs in these areas. With this information in hand, contact Dr. Yvonne Kapila (Director of Global Initiatives) and Dr. Renee Duff (Assistant Dean for Student Services) for further directions.

Q: I am a UMSoD student traveling abroad. Am I required to register using the University of Michigan Travel Registry?

  • Yes – if your travel is through the University or is related to your education (ie externship or dental aid trip).
  • No, but it is recommended – if your travel is non-education related (ie leisure travel).

Q: How do I check travel warnings for my destination of interest?

Q: Does UMSoD provide financial support for students travel?

For most trips, students are responsible for their expenses. Select programs have some financial resources. Students in those programs will be notified if such funds are available.