The University of Michigan is moving from CTools to Canvas for course management. Canvas was piloted in 2014/2015 by dozens of faculty and thousands of students, including some within the School of Dentistry. Starting in Fall 2015, campus is moving to Canvas on a larger scale.
- How do I log in?
- Why are we changing?
- UM is moving from CTools to Canvas to take advantage of Canvas’s many advantages, including mobile-friendly interface, facilitation of group work, interoperability with other software, etc.
- What are the advantages of Canvas over CTools?
- Group projects
- Peer review
- Online secure tests
- More sophisticated and easier grading of assignments
- Integrates with external systems, like iClicker, Kaltura, LectureTools, etc.
- Mobile-friendly, with apps, responsive screen formatting, and the ability to send announcements to SMS text instead of e-mail
- When will my course change?
- D1 and D2 courses will move to Canvas starting Fall 2015; D3 and D4 courses will move starting Fall 2016.
- When/how will I learn Canvas?
- A number of workshops are being planned for faculty and students. Training will be available before your course(s) are moved to Canvas. Watch for announcements of training dates.
- Individual help will always be available by appointment.
- Instructors: how hard will it be to convert my course?
- Any materials existing in CTools will be converted to Canvas automatically.
- Course support staff will help convert your course.
- Instructors in the pilot report the Canvas interface is often easier to use than CTools.