The Sindecuse Museum was created in 1991 with a gift from Gordon H. Sindecuse, DDS, a 1921 graduate of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. The Museum officially opened on September 18, 1992 after hiring its first professional part-time curator the prior year. At its founding, the Sindecuse Museum was housed within the first and ground floor lobby areas of the Kellogg Institute Building. In 1995, plans were initiated to expand the museum as part of the Kellogg renovation.
By September 8, 2000 the Sindecuse Museum re-opened after a two-year construction phase. The internal courtyard connecting the Kellogg and Dental Buildings was converted into an atrium to house the Museum’s expanded exhibit space. Five new exhibit cases were added in a nearby hallway of renovated space. A climate controlled room specifically designed for collection storage was part of the renovation in the Kellogg Building. It includes state-of-the-art storage cabinets and mobile storage racks.
Today the Museum is staffed by two full-time museum professionals, Curator Shannon O'Dell and Collections Coordinator Adam Johnson, and assisted by a University of Michigan student, Meredith Counts, who works part-time.