U.S. Dental Museums and Collections
National Dental Museums:
- National Museum of Dentistry, Baltimore, MD
University-associated Museums and Collections:
- Historical Dental Museum Collection, Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University
- Bibby Library Archives, Dentistry Exhibits, Eastman Institute for Oral Health, University of Rochester
- Artifacts from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard University
- Out of the Past Dental History, University of Texas, San Antonio Dental School
- Macaulay Museum of Dental History, The Medical University of South Carolina
- Kottemann Gallery of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Medical Museum, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Pierre Fauchard Academy Dental Museum, Community College of Southern Nevada
- A.W. Ward Museum of Dentistry Collection, University of the Pacific School of Dentistry
- Alabama Museum of the Health Sciences, The Historical Collections Unit within Lister Hill Library at the University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Dental Historic Collection, University of Michigan Library. This collection of important and unusual dental publications is comprised of both books and journals.
- University of Texas Articulator Listing, University of Texas School of Dentistry reference website for articulators
- Ernest Starr Memorial Museum of Dental Anomalies, Oregon Health and Science University
- A.D. Black History of Dentistry Collection and G.V. Black Collection, Special Collections, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Henry J. McKellops Collection in Dental Medicine, Bernard Becker Medical Library, Washington University School of Medicine
- Dittrick Medical History Center Museum, particularly the Dental Care Campaigns 1909-1919 photographs in the Image Collection, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- The Lost Museum of Harvard's Dental School, Center for the History of Medicine, Harvard University
- University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry Museum, Omaha, NE
Other Dental Museums:
- Bainbridge Dental Museum and Historical Society, Bainbridge, Ohio
International Dental Museums and Collections
- Museum of Health Care, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- British Dental Association Museum, London, England
- Henry Forman Atkinson Dental Museum, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Austrailia
- The Lyon Dental Museum, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Lyon, France
- History of the Royal Army Dental Corps, Army Medical Services Museum, Mytchett, Surrey, England
Additional Research Links:
- American Dental Association Resources on the dental profession and history of the field.
- American Academy of the History of Dentistry: Dentistry Collections Database "This browseable, searchable database site is the result of our ongoing survey of museums, libraries, archives and private collections regarding artifacts and materials relevant to the history of dentistry."
- Want to join the dental history listserv?
- Want to join a Flickr group related to history of dentistry? Check out this group: History & Art of Dentistry and then check Flickr pro, Rosefirerising’s dentistry collections of images
- Journal of the History of Dentistry (issues available to read online)
- Dental Cosmos, a Monthly Record of Dental Science (1859-1936). Digital version of the original classic professional journal. All pages scanned, including advertisements.
- Google Patent Search. Research the function or inventor of dental tools and devices by searching this database of scanned US Patent records including drawings and descriptions.
- International Toothbrush Collection. Research the history, terminology, and even search a toothbrush datababse on this in-depth website.
- The Medical Heritage Library is a digital curation collaborative among some of the world’s leading medical libraries, and promotes free and open access to quality historical resources in medicine.
- The National Library of Medicine has holdings that provide information on the history of clinical dentistry, particularly in the Films and Videos collection.
- U.S. Army Dental Corps, Office of Medical History, U.S. Army Medical Department.
- Virtual Dental Museum Virtual exhibits on a variety of dental history topics.
- Directory of History of Medicine Collections, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC
- University Museums Collections Worldwide Database Directory, quick search: “dentistry museum”
To suggest a link for this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated March 14, 2016.