Division of Periodontology
Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine
University of Michigan School of Dentistry
1101 N. University Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078
BackgroundA career Michigan dental educator, Dr. Richards has been recognized for his enthusiastic teaching and honored by students on many occasions, receiving the "Dr. Paul Gibbons Award" (for outstanding educational contributions during four years of dental school) twelve times.
- 1984 - DDS, The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- 1988 - MS, The University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Periodontics
Academic Appointments and Professional Experience
- 1984-1985 - Clinical Instructor in Oral Diagnosis and Radiology, The University of Michigan
- 1985-1986 - Clinical Instructor in Periodontics and Prosthodontics, The University of Michigan
- 1986-1988 - Adjunct Lecturer in Periodontics, The University of Michigan
- 1989-1991 - Private Practice Limited to Periodontics, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 1989-1993 - Lecturer in Periodontics, The University of Michigan
- 1990-1991 - Clinical Instructor, Kellogg Community College, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 1993-1998 - Clinical Assistant Professor, The University of Michigan
- 1998-2008 - Clinical Associate Professor, The University of Michigan
- 2008-present - Clinical Professor, The University of Michigan
- 1994-2010 and 2013-2017 - Director of Undergraduate Periodontics, The University of Michigan
- 2011-2012 - Associate Chair, Periodontics & Oral Medicine, The University of Michigan
- Arnett M, Korte D, Richards PS, Saglik B, Taichman LS, Kinney JS and Gwozdek AE: Effect of Faculty Development Activities on Dental Hygiene Faculty Perceptions of and Teaching About Motivational Interviewing: A Pilot Study. J Dent Educ. 2017 Aug;81(8):969-977.
- Mills A, Kerschbaum WE, Richards PS, Czarnecki GA, Kinney JS, and Gwozdek AE: Motivational Interviewing: Assessment of Students’ Perception of Importance of Using & Confidence in Applying. J Dent Hyg. 2017 Feb;91(1):15-23.
- Garfinkle AJ, Richards PS, Inglehart MR. Providing Care for Underserved Patients - Periodontists’ and Periodontal Residents’ Educational Experiences, Attitudes and Behavior. J Periodontol. 2010 Nov;81(11):1604-1612.
- Bennett DE, Lee JH, Richards PS, Inglehart MR. General Dentists and Periodontal Referrals. J Mich Dent Assoc. 2010 Sept;92(9): 46-51.
- Lee JH, Bennett DE, Richards PS, Inglehart MR. Periodontal referral patterns of general dentists: lessons for dental education. J Dent Educ. 2009 Feb;73(2):199-210.
- Patel RR, Richards PS, Inglehart MR. Periodontal health, quality of life, and smiling patterns-an exploration. J Periodontol. 2008 Feb;79(2):224-31.
- Lanning SK, Best AM, Temple HJ, Richards PS, Carey A, McCauley LK. Accuracy and consistency of radiographic interpretation among clinical instructors in conjunction with a training program. J Dent Educ. 2006 May;70(5):545-57.
- Patel AM, Richards PS, Wang HL, Inglehart MR. Surgical or non-surgical periodontal treatment: factors affecting patient decision making. J Periodontol. 2006 Apr;77(4):678-83.
- Richards PS, Inglehart MR. An interdisciplinary approach to case-based teaching: does it create patient-centered and culturally sensitive providers? J Dent Educ. 2006 Mar;70(3):284-91.
- Lanning SK, Best AM, Temple HJ, Richards PS, Carey A, McCauley LK. Accuracy and consistency of radiographic interpretation among clinical instructors using two viewing systems. J Dent Educ. 2006 Feb;70(2):149-59.
- Lanning SK, Pelok SD, Williams BC, Richards PS, Sarment DP, Oh TJ, McCauley LK. Variation in periodontal diagnosis and treatment planning among clinical instructors. J Dent Educ. 2005 Mar;69(3):325-37.