Ma Lab: Polymeric Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Lab
Selected Recent Journal Articles and Book Chapters
1. P.X. Ma, Biomimetic Materials for Tissue Engineering, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 60(2): 184-198 (2008).
2. JX Zhang and PX Ma. Polymeric Core-Shell Assemblies Mediated by Holst-Guest Interactions: Versatile Nanocarriers for Drug Delivery, Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 48(5): 964-968 (2009).
3. LA Smith, X Liu, P Wang, J Hu and PX Ma. Enhancing Osteogenic Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells by Nanofibers, Tissue Engineering. 15(7): 1855-1864 (2009).
4. LA Smith, X Liu, J Hu, and PX Ma. The Influence of Three Dimensional Nanofibrous Scaffolds on the Osteogenic Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells. Biomaterials. 30(13): 2516-2522 (2009).
5. X Liu, LA Smith, J Hu, and PX Ma. Biomimetic nano-fibrous gelatin/apatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 30(12): 2252–2258 (2009).
6. K.M. Woo, V.J. Chen, H.J. Kim, H.M. Jung, T.I. Kim, H.I. Shin, J.H. Baek, H.M. Ryoo, and PX Ma. Comparative evaluation of nano-fibrous scaffolding for bone regeneration in critical size calvarial defects. Tissue Engineering, 15(8): 2155-62 (2009).
7. P Wang, J Hu, PX Ma. The Engineering of Patient-specific, Anatomically Shaped, Digits, Biomaterials, 30(14): 2735-2740 (2009).
8. X Liu and PX Ma, Phase separation, pore structure, and properties of nanofibrous gelatin scaffolds, Biomaterials, 30(25): 4094-4103 (2009).
9. J Hu, K Feng, X Liu, PX Ma, Chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiations of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells on a nanofibrous scaffold with designed pore network, Biomaterials, 30(28): 5061-5067 (2009)
10. G Wei and PX Ma. Partially nanofibrous architecture of 3D tissue engineering scaffolds. Biomaterials. 30(32): 6426-6434 (2009).
11. X Liu and PX Ma, The nanofibrous architecture of poly(L-lactic acid)-based functional copolymers. Biomaterials. 31(2):259-269 (2010).
12. H Tian, S Bharadwaj, Y Liu, PX Ma and A Atala. Myogenic Differentiation of Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells on a 3D Nanofibrous Scaffold for Bladder Tissue Engineering, Biomaterials. 31(5): 870-7 (2010).
13. H Sun, K Feng, J Hu, S Soker, A Atala and PX Ma. Osteogenic Differentiation of Human Amniotic Fluid–derived Stem Cells Induced by Bone Morphogenetic Protein-7 and Enhanced by Nanofibrous Scaffolds. Biomaterials. 31(6): 1133-1139 (2010).
14. JX Zhang, H Sun and PX Ma, Host-guest Interaction Mediated Multifunctional Polymeric Nano-assemblies for Simultaneous Drug and Gene Delivery. ACS Nano. 4(2): 1049-1059 (2010).
15. H Tian, S Bharadwaj, Y Liu, PX Ma, A Atala and Y Zhang. Differentiation of Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells into Bladder Cells: Potential for Urological Tissue Engineering, Tissue Engineering, Part A, 16(5): 1769-1779 (2010).
16. LA Smith, X Liu, J Hu, and PX Ma. The Enhancement of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Osteogenic Differentiation with Nano-fibrous Scaffolding. Biomaterials, 31(21):5526-5535 (2010).
17. J Wang, X Liu, X Jin, H Ma, J Hu, L Ni and PX Ma. The odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells on nanofibrous poly(l-lactic acid) scaffolds in vitro and in vivo. Acta Biomaterialia, 6:3856-3863 (2010).
18. K Feng, H Sun, MA Bradley, EJ Dupler, WV. Giannobile, and PX Ma. Novel Antibacterial Nanofibrous PLLA Scaffolds. Journal of Controlled Release. 146: 363-369 (2010).
19. H Ma, J Hu and PX Ma, Polymer scaffolds for small-diameter vascular tissue engineering. Advanced Functional Materials, 20(17), 2833 (2010).
20. J Hu, X Sun, H Ma, CQ Xie, YE Chen, PX Ma. Porous nano-fibrous PLLA scaffolds for vascular tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 31:7971-7977 (2010).
21. J Hu, L Smith, K Feng, X Liu, H Sun and PX Ma. Response of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells to Osteogenic Factors and Architectures of Materials during in vitro Osteogenesis, Tissue Engineering: Part A 16(11):3507-3514 (2010).
22. JX Zhang, K Ellsworth, PX Ma. Hydrophobic pharmaceuticals mediated self-assembly of b-cyclodextrin containing hydrophilic copolymers: Novel chemical responsive nano-vehicles for drug delivery. Journal of Controlled Release, 145(2):116-123 (2010).
23. CL He, GY Xiao, XB Jin, CH Sun and PX Ma, Electrodeposition on nanofibrous polymer scaffolds: Rapid mineralization, tunable calcium phosphate composition and topography. Advanced Functional Materials, 20(20):3568-3576 (2010).
24. JX Zhang and PX Ma, Host-guest interactions mediated nano-assemblies using cyclodextrin-containing hydrophilic polymers and their biomedical applications. Nano Today. 5:337-350 (2010).
25. X Liu, X Jin and PX Ma. Nanofibrous hollow microspheres self-assembled from star-shaped polymers as injectable cell carriers for knee repair. Nature Materials, 10(5):398-406 (2011).
26. C Xie, J Hu, H Ma, J Chang, LJ Chang, YE Chen, PX Ma. Three-dimensional growth of iPS cell-derived smooth muscle cells on nanofibrous scaffolds, Biomaterials, 32: 4369-4375 (2011).
27. J Wang, H Ma, X Jin, J Hu, X Liu, L Ni and PX Ma. The effect of scaffold architecture on odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells, Biomaterials, 32(31):7822-7830 (2011).
28. JM Holzwarth and PX Ma. Biomimetic nanofibrous scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials, 32: 9622-9629 (2011)
29. G Feng, X Jin, J Hu, H Ma, MJ Gupte, H Liu, PX Ma. Effects of Hypoxia and Scaffold Architecture on Rabbit Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation towards a Nucleus Pulposus-like Phenotype, Biomaterials, 32:8182-8189 (2011).
30. Z Zhang, J Hu, and PX Ma. Nanofiber-based delivery of bioactive agents and stem cells to bone sites. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 64(12): 1129-1141 (2012).
31. JX Zhang, K Ellsworth, PX Ma. Synthesis of β-Cyclodextrin Containing Copolymer via ‘Click’ Chemistry and Its Self-Assembly in the Presence of Guest Compounds. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 33(8): 664-671 (2012).
32. X Liu, J Holzwarth, and PX Ma. Functionalized synthetic biodegradable polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering. Macromolecular Bioscience, 12(7): 911-919 (2012).
33. C Xie, Y Guo, T Zhu, J Zhang, PX Ma, YE Chen. Yap1 regulates vascular smooth muscle cell phenotypic switch by interaction with myocardin. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287(18): 14598-14605 (2012).
34. G Feng, Z Zhang, X Jin, J Hu, MJ Gupte, JM Holzwarth, and PX Ma. Regenerating nucleus pulposus of the intervertebral disc using biodegradable nanofibrous polymer scaffolds. Tissue Engineering: Part A, 18(21&22), 2231-2238 (2012).
35. Z Zhang, M Gupte, and PX Ma. Biomaterials and Stem Cells for Tissue Engineering. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, 13(4):527-540 (2013).
36. RJ Kane and PX Ma. Biomimetic Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering Applications, in: M Ramalingam, X Wang, G Chen, PX Ma, FZ Cui (Ed). Biomimetics: Advancing Nanobiomaterials and Tissue Engineering, John Wiley-Scrivener Publishing, PP69-89 (2013).
37. G Feng, L Li, H Liu, Y Song, F Huang, C Tu, B Shen, Q Gong, T Li, L Liu, J. Zeng, Q Kong, M Yi, M Gupte, PX Ma* and F Pei*. Hypoxia differentially regulates human nucleus pulposus and annualus fibrosus cell extracellular matrix production in 3D scaffolds. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 21: 582-588 (2013).
38. JX Zhang and PX Ma. Cyclodextrin-based supramolecular systems for drug delivery: Recent progress and future perspective. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 65:1215-1233 (2013).
39. C He, X Jin and PX Ma. Calcium phosphate deposition rate, structure and osteoconductivity on electrospun poly(l-lactic acid) matrix using electrodeposition or simulated body fluid incubation. Acta Biomaterialia, 10(1): 419-427 (2014) (2013).
40. RJ Kane and PX Ma. Mimicking the nanostructure of bone matrix to regenerate bone. Materials Today, 16(11): 418-423 (2013).
41. H Xu, JM Holzwarth, Y Yan, P Xu, H Zheng, Y Yin, S Li, and PX Ma. Conductive PPY/PDLLA conduit for peripheral nerve regeneration. Biomaterials, 35:225-235 (2014).
42. Z Zhang, JM Holzwarth and PX Ma, Nanofibrous Polymer Scaffolds with Designed Pore Structure, in: PX Ma (Ed) Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 7, pp91-103 (2014).
43. IO Smith, MJ Gupte and PX Ma. Polymer/Ceramic Composite Scaffolds for Regeneration, in: PX Ma (Ed) Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 12, pp203-214 (2014).
44. K Feng, J Hu and PX Ma. Growth Factor Delivery Scaffolds, in: PX Ma (Ed) Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 20, pp377-390 (2014).
45. J Wang, X Jin, PX Ma. Dentin-pulp tissue engineering and regeneration, in: PX Ma (Ed) Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 31, pp570-582 (2014).
46. G Wei and PX Ma. Chapter 2: Polymeric Biomaterials. In: A Boccaccini and PX Ma (Ed) Tissue Engineering Using Ceramics and Polymers, 2nd Edition, Woodhead Publishing Ltd, Chapter 2, pp35-66 (2014).
47. M Dang, JM Shin and PX Ma. Synthetic Biomimetic Porous Polymer Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration, in: CT Laurencin and J Tao (Eds) Synthetic Biomimetic Polymer Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration, 2nd Ed. ASTM International, Chapter 9, pp195-217 (2014).
48. B Guo and PX Ma. Synthetic biodegradable functional polymers for tissue engineering – A brief review. SCIENCE CHINA Chemistry, 57(4):490-500 (2014).
49. B Lei and PX Ma. Biomimetic nanofibrous scaffolds to enhance bone regeneration. Materials China, 32(10):583-590 (2014)
50. L Zhang, L Wang, B Guo, and PX Ma. Cytocompatible injectable carboxymethyl chitosan/N-isopropylacrylamide hydrogels for localized drug delivery. Carbohydrate Polymers, 103:110-118 (2014).
51. L Li, J Ge, B Guo, and PX Ma. In situ forming biodegradable electroactive hydrogels. Polymer Chemistry, 5:2880-2890 (2014).
52. X Ma, J Ge, Y Li, B Guo and PX Ma. Nanofibrous electroactive scaffolds from chitosan-grafted-aniline tetramer by electrospining for tissue engineering. RSC Advances, 3:13652-13661 (2014).
53. Y Wu, L Wang, B Guo and PX Ma. Injectable biodegradable hydrogels and microgels based on methacrylated poly(ethylene glycol)-co-poly(glycerol sebacate) multi-block copolymers: Synthesis, characterization, and cell encapsulation. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2(23):3674-3685 (2014).
54. L Zhang, Y Li, L Li, B Guo, PX Ma. Non-cytotoxic conductive carboxymethyl-chitosan/aniline pentamer hydrogels. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 82:81-88 (2014).
55. Y Wang, J Hu, J Jiao, Z Liu, Z Zhou, C Zhao, L-J Chang, YE Chen*, PX Ma*, B Yang* Engineering vascular tissue with functional smooth muscle cells derived from human iPS cells and nanofibrous scaffolds. Biomaterials, 35(32):8960-8969 (2014).
56. S Guo, D Lim, Z Dong, TL Saunders, PX Ma, CL Marcelo, and HH Ritchie. DSPP: A regulatory protein for dental pulp stem cell identity and fate. Stem Cells and Development, 23(23):2883-2894 (2014).
57. L Li, J Ge, L Wang, B Guo, and PX Ma. Electroactive nanofibrous biomimetic scaffolds by thermally induced phase separation. Journal of materials Chemistry B, 2:6119-6130 (2014).
58. J Zhao, X Zhao, B Guo, PX Ma. Multi-functional interpenetrating polymer network hydrogels based on methacrylated alginate for delivery of small molecule drugs and sustained protein release. Biomacromolecules, 15(9): 3246-3252 (2014).
59. Y Wu, B Guo, PX Ma. Injectable Electroactive Hydrogels Formed via Host-Guest Interactions. ACS Macro Letters, 3, 1145-1150 (2014).
60. Z Zhang, MJ Gupte, X Jin, and PX Ma. Injectable Peptide Decorated Functional Nanofibrous Hollow Microspheres to Direct Stem Cell Differentiation and Tissue Regeneration. Advanced Functional Materials, 25(3):350-360 (2014).
61. Y Xue, Y Du, J Yan, Z Liu, PX Ma, X Chen, B Lei. Monodisperse photoluminescent and highly biocompatible bioactive glass nanoparticles for controlled drugs delivery and bioimaging. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 3831-3839 (2015).
62. Y Du, J Ge, Y Shao, PX Ma, X Chen and B Lei. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3: 2986-3000 (2015).
63. X Mei, J Ge, Y Xue, Y Du, B Lei, and PX Ma. Photo-crosslinked fabrication of novel biocompatible and elastomeric star-shaped inositol-based polymer with highly tunable mechanical behavior and degradation. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 51:163-68 (2015).
64. X Zhao, B Guo, and PX Ma. Single component thermo-gelling electroactive hydrogels from poly(caprolactone)-poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(caprolactone)-graft-aniline tetramer amphiphilic copolymers. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3:8459-68 (2015).
65. Z Zhang, MJ Gupte, X Jin, and PX Ma. Injectable Peptide Decorated Functional Nanofibrous Hollow Microspheres to Direct Stem Cell Differentiation and Tissue Regeneration. Advanced Functional Materials, 25(3):350-360 (2015).
66. Y Xue, Y Du, J Yan, Z Liu, PX Ma, X Chen, B Lei. Monodisperse photoluminescent and highly biocompatible bioactive glass nanoparticles for controlled drugs delivery and bioimaging. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 3831-3839 (2015).
67. Y Zhang, J Ge, Y Shao, PX Ma, X Chen, B Lei. Development of silica grafted poly (1, 8-octanediol-co-citrates) hybrid elastomers with highly tunable mechanical properties and biocompatibility. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3(15), 2986-3000 (2015).
68. KJ Rambhia and PX Ma. Controlled Drug Release for Tissue Engineering. Journal of Controlled Release, 219:119-128 (2015).
69. J Hu, Y Wang, J Jiao, Z Liu, C Zhao, Z Zhou, Z Zhang, K Forde, L Wang, J Wang, DJ Baylink, XB Zhang, S Gao, B Yang, YE Chen, PX Ma. Patient-specific cardiovascular progenitor cells derived from integration-free induced pluripotent stem cells for vascular tissue regeneration, Biomaterials, 73: 51-59 (2015).
70. X Zhao, Y Wu, Y Du, X Chen, B Lei, Y Xue, PX Ma. A highly bioactive and biodegradable poly (glycerol sebacate)-silica glass hybrid elastomer with tailored mechanical properties for bone tissue regeneration. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 3222-3233 (2015).
71. M Xie, L Wang, J Ge, BL Guo, and PX Ma. Strong Electroactive Biodegradable Shape Memory Polymer Networks Based on Star-Shaped Polylactide and Aniline Trimer for Bone Tissue Engineering, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7(12)：6772-6781(2015).
72. B Guo, B Lei, P Li, PX Ma. Functionalized scaffolds to enhance tissue regeneration. Regenerative Biomaterials, 2(1): 47-57 (2015).
73. J Yan, W He, N Li, M Yu, Y Du, B Lei, PX Ma. Simultaneously targeted imaging cytoplasm and nucleus in living cell by biomolecules capped ultra-small GdOF nanocrystals. Biomaterials, 59:21-29 (2015).
74. S Tian, Q Liu, L Gnatovskiy, PX Ma*, Z Wang*. Heart regeneration with embryonic cardiac progenitor cells and cardiac tissue engineering. Journal of Stem Cell and Transplantation Biology, 1(1): 104 (2015).
75. S Hou, X Wang, S Park, X Jin and PX Ma. Rapid self-integrating, injectable hydrogel for tissue complex regeneration. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 4: 1491-1495 (2015).
76. Z Zhang, RL Marson, Z Ge, SC Glotzer and PX Ma. Simultaneous nano- and micro-scale control of nanofibrous microspheres self-assembled from star-shaped polymers, Advanced Materials, 27(26): 3947-3952 (2015).
77. R Kuang, Z Zhang, X Jin, J Hu, MJ Gupte, L Ni, PX Ma. Nanofibrous Spongy Microspheres Enhance Odontogenic Differentiation of Human Dental Pulp Stem Cells. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 4: 1993-2000 (2015).
78. Y Du, M Yu, J Ge, PX Ma*, X Chen, B Lei*. Development of a multifunctional platform based on strong, intrinsically photoluminescent and antimicrobial silica-poly(citrates)-based hybrid biodegradable elastomers for bone regeneration. Advanced Functional Materials, 25 (31): 5016–5029 (2015).
79. Z Zhang and PX Ma. From Nanofibrous Hollow Microspheres to Nanofibrous Hollow Disks and Nanofibrous Shells. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 36(19):1735-41 (2015).
80. J Chen, B Guo, TW Eyster, PX Ma. Super stretchable electroactive elastomer formation driven by aniline trimer self-assembly. Chemistry of Materials, 27: 5668-5677 (2015).
81. Q Liu, S Tian, C Zhao, X Chen, I Lei, Z Wang, PX Ma. Porous nanofibrous poly(l-lactic acid) scaffolds supporting cardiovascular progenitor cells for cardiac tissue engineering. Acta Biomaterialia, 26:105-114 (2015).
82. M Zhang, Y Wu, X Zhao, K Gao, PX Ma and B Guo. Biocompatible degradable injectable hydrogels from methacrylated poly(ethylene glycol)-co-poly( xylitol sebacate) and cyclodextrins for release of hydrophilic and hydrophobic drugs. RSC Advances, 5:66965-74 (2015).
83. M Xie, L Wang, B Guo, Z Wang, YE Chen, PX Ma. Ductile electroactive biodegradable hyperbranched polylactide copolymers enhancing myoblast differentiation. Biomaterials, 71:158-167 (2015).
84. L Li, J Ge, PX Ma, B Guo. Injectable conducting interpenetrating polymer network hydrogels from gelatin-graft-polyaniline and oxidized dextran with enhanced mechanical properties. RSC Advances, 5: 92490-98 (2015).
85. L Wang, Y Wu, B Guo, PX Ma. Nanofiber yarn/hydrogel core-shell scaffolds mimicking native skeletal muscle tissue for guiding 3D myoblast alignment, elongation and differentiation. ACS Nano, 9(9):9167-79 (2015).
86. X Zhao, P Li, B Guo, PX Ma. Antibacterial and conductive injectable hydrogels based on quaternized chitosan-graft-polyaniline/oxidized dextran for tissue engineering. Acta Biomaterialia, 26:236-48 (2015).
87. L Wang, J Hu, CE Sorek, YE Chen, PX Ma, B Yang. Fabrication of tissue-engineered vascular grafts with stem cells and stem cell-derived vascular cells. Expert Opinion On Biological Therapy, 8:1-14 (2015).
88. S. Hou and PX Ma. Stimuli-responsive supramolecular hydrogels with high extensibility and fast self-healing via pre-coordinated mussel-inspired chemistry. Chemistry of Materials, 27(22):7627-35 (2015).
89. M Xie, J Ge, B Lei, Q Zhang, X Chen, and PX Ma. Star-Shaped, Biodegradable, and Elastomeric PLLA-PEG-POSS Hybrid Membrane With Biomineralization Activity for Guiding Bone Tissue Regeneration. Macromolecular Bioscience, 15(12):1656-62 (2015).
90. J Chen, R Dong, J Ge, B Guo, and PX Ma. Biocompatible, Biodegradable, and Electroactive Polyurethane-Urea Elastomers with Tunable Hydrophilicity for Skeletal Muscle Tissue Engineering. ACS Applied Biomaterials & Interfaces, 7(51):28273-85 (2015).
91. L Li, M Yu, PX Ma and B Guo. Electroactive degradable copolymers enhancing osteogenic differentiation from bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 4(3):471-81 (2016).
92. SA Al-Dujaili, AJ Koh, M Dang, X Me, W Chang, PX Ma, LK McCauley. Calcium sensing receptor function supports osteoblast survival and acts as a co-factor in PTH anabolic actions in bone. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, DOI 10.1002/jcb.25447, in press (2016).
93. X Zhang, Yan Li, YE Chen, J Chen and PX Ma. Cell-free 3D scaffold with two-stage delivery of miRNA-26a to regenerate critical sized bone defects. Nature Communications 7, Article number: 10376. Doi:10.1038/ncomms10376 (2016).
1. PX Ma and JH Elisseeff. Scaffolding in Tissue Engineering. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2006.
2. M Ramalingam, X Wang, G Chen, PX Ma, FZ Cui. Biomimetics: Advancing Nanobiomaterials and Tissue Engineering, John Wiley-Scrivener Publishing, 2013.
3. PX Ma. Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
4. AR Boccaccini and PX Ma. Tissue Engineering using Ceramics and Polymers, 2nd Ed. Woodhead Publishing Ltd, 2014.