Skip to content Skip to navigation

Orthodontics Program International Applicants

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Invitations for interviews at the University of Michigan Graduate Orthodontics Program will be granted to applicants who qualify and are applying exclusively to programs that participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. As part of the admission requirements, applicants will be contacted with further information about certifying this requirement.

Applications and credentials of international students who are interested in Orthodontics must be received by the Post-doctoral Application Support Service (PASS) no later than August 15, 2017.  International applicants are required to submit ALL of the following items to be considered for an interview.  In the PASS application please include:

  1. National Dental Board Examination Part 1 scores. NBDE Part 1 scores are required to apply to the program. For application purposes, we accept the NDBE scores reported on your PASS Institutional Evaluation form.
  2. GRE scores.  In addition to reporting your scores on PASS, GRE scores must be electronically submitted to the University of Michigan. When submitting your GRE scores electronically, use institution code 1839 and do not choose a department code. For more information on sending GRE score reports, please visit Please do not send paper copies.
  3. The Postdoctoral Dental Match Program Code. Applicants must participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. For more information on this program, please visit
  4. Professional Evaluations (PEF is a traditional letter of evaluation). You must submit 3 PEF evaluations in the PASS application.
  5. Curriculum Vitae.  A curriculum vitae (CV) must be uploaded to your PASS application.
  6. Submit/Upload dental transcripts online with your PASS application.
  7. IBT TOEFL. Foreign applicants whose native language is NOT English must submit IBT TOEFL scores ( electronically to the University of Michigan using institution code 1839. The minimum accepted IBT TOEFL is 84. The exam score must be current (less than 2 years old). Please do not send a paper copy of your IBT TOEFL score. Paper copies are not accepted.

The Orthodontics program participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program.  After all interviews are complete and Match results are announced, accepted candidates will be contacted to submit a secondary University of Michigan application.

If you have questions about this process, please contact us at  We now have a paperless admissions process!  Please do not send paper copies of your documents to the School of Dentistry. Please review all websites and links carefully and email us if you have questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How will I know when my application is made available to the Orthodontics program for review?

A: The School of Dentistry Office of Admissions will notify applicants via email when their materials have been received, processed, and sent to the Orthodontics program for review.

Q: Do you require a photo?

A: No. A photo is not required to apply to the program.

Q: When will I be contacted for an interview?

A: The Orthodontics Department is responsible for all interview invitations. The department will contact you directly about interview offers.

Q: Do you require official Dental School transcripts to be sent to the University of Michigan?

A: The candidates who match with our program will be contacted in December to complete a University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School application. At that time, only those who match will be requested to submit official transcripts to Rackham.

Q: What is the estimated cost of the Orthodontics Graduate program?

A: Please review our tuition table. All students are enrolled beginning with the Summer term, and are registered as full-time students for the length of the program.

Q: I am an internationally trained dentist, if I am admitted to the Orthodontics Graduate program and I complete the program will I be eligible for licensure?

A: In the United States, licensure requirements vary from state to state. The state dental board (where you intend to practice) is the appropriate agency to contact for specific information about licensure requirements, the state dental practice act, or other licensure-related information. For more information, please visit