International Student Information

English Language Institutes

As a reflection of the importance the University of Michigan places on the ability of its students to communicate effectively, for all applicants whose native language is not English, admission will be contingent upon their demonstration of English proficiency. Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB) or the Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL). Mail your test results with your application.

Applicants whose previous degree is not from an accredited U.S. institution, or from an accredited U.S. institution where the majority of instruction is NOT in English, will be required to provide score reports the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum total score of 560 on the Paper-Pencil TOEFL or a minimum total score of 200 on the Computer-Based TOEFL or a minimum total score of 80 on the MELAB. Applicants will be required to have their English evaluated when they arrive on campus by taking the Academic English Evaluation (AEE) prior to the beginning of the term of admission. Information and applications for English proficiency tests may be obtained by contacting the following:

  MELAB English Language Institute
U-M Testing and Certification Division
3020 N University Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1057
TOEFL Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541

Prior to enrollment in the School of Dentistry courses, entering students whose native language is not English undergo English re-evaluation. This consists of the Academic English Evaluation (AEE), which includes measures of writing, revising, listening, grammar/vocabulary/reading, and speaking. The written portion of the AEE is followed by individual counseling sessions at which time the student will be given oral interviews to evaluate their spoken English, and it will then be determined which, if any, English as a Second Language (ESL) courses should be taken. Students should register in advance for the AEE at the English Language Institute Main Office, Room 3004 North University Building (NUB), or by telephoning 734-764-2413. Students must bring their passports as identification, plus their certificates of letters of admission, to the AEE evaluation.

The International Center

The University of Michigan enrolls approximately 4,800 students from other countries. The International Center offers special, extensive orientation programs for international graduate students in August and January. In addition, the International Center hosts programs of interest and assistance for international students and scholars throughout the year. The Center has has an extensive website with information about immigration, life in Ann Arbor, health insurance, and much more at The International Center's staff concerns itself with the special needs and problems of our students and scholars from abroad. International Student Advisors are available to assist in such matters as immigration problems, concerns about passports, visas, and employment possibilities.

When you arrive on campus, visit the International Center for a schedule of mandatory check-in sessions and orientation activities. The address is: International Center, 603 East Madison, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1370.

Passports and Visas

All postdoctoral program students must enter the United States on an F-1 visa which is processed by the School of Dentistry Continuing Dental Education Office. This is a non-immigrant visa which presumes you are in the United States for the purpose of studying for a limited time. Visa application paperwork will be sent to you after acceptance to the program. For more information, refer to F-1 Status