The ITDP application is accessible online through the American Dental Education Association. This one application, the Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) will allow you to apply to multiple schools.
Applicants should have and be prepared to submit the following items to CAAPID and the School when requested:
National Board Dental Examination Part 1 results
- National Board Part 1 is required and results are captured on the CAAPID application
- You must receive a passing score on NDBE Part 1 to be considered for admission
- Official scores are not requested unless an applicant receives an offer of admission
Letters of Evaluation
- Three letters of evaluation are required and captured on the CAAPID application
- One letter should be from the Dean of the applicant's dental school. The remaining letters should be from an instructor or similar individual who is able to evaluate the applicant's dental knowledge, skill, character, and potential for success in the ITDP
Official Transcripts and Course-by-Course Evaluation
- Applicant must submit to CAAPID a detailed course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE). We only accept ECE.
- If an applicant receives an offer of admission, we then require official transcripts from the original dental school to be sent directly to the ITDP.
English Language Proficiency (submit to the School)
- Applicants must be proficient in the English language
- All applicants must take the TOEFL to be considered for admission
- We only accept the Internet based TOEFL (iBT)
- Official TOEFL scores must be submitted electronically from ETS and received by the University of Michigan by the application deadline. Paper copies of scores will not be accepted.
- When submitting your TOEFL score electronically use institution code 1839, department code Graduate School, option 5 - any other department.
- Once you request your TOEFL scores from ETS, it takes approximately 2-3 weeks for those scores to appear in our system.
- TOEFL scores are valid for two years after the test date.
- The minimum IBT total score is 94
- We recommend the applicant have the following subscores:
- Reading - minimum score of 22
- Listening - minimum score of 22
- Speaking - minimum score of 26
- Writing - minimum score of 24
Application Fee (to the School)
- The School of Dentistry requires an application fee of $75 (US) which you pay online. Please pay the application fee after you submit your CAAPID application.
- DO NOT send a check or money order to the School of Denitstry. We will only accept application fees paid online.
Certification of Finances (after acceptance)
- If you are admitted to the program and are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you will then need to submit financial certification documents in order for the University of Michigan to issue a student (F1) visa for study.
The University of Michigan will only accept documents that are submitted through CAAPID. We will not accept any documents (letters, certificates, transcripts, etc.) sent directly to the school, with the exception of TOEFL which must be submitted electronically to the University of Michigan at the time of application. After we receive your CAAPID application, we will contact you by email to inform you of the status of your application.