The ITDP application is accessible online through the American Dental Education Association. This one application, the Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) will allow you to apply to multiple schools.
The University of Michigan will only accept documents that are submitted through CAAPID. We will not accept any documents (letters, certificates, transcripts, resumes, etc.) sent directly to the school, with the exception of TOEFL which must be submitted electronically to the University of Michigan at the time of application. After we receive your CAAPID application, we will contact you by email to inform you of the status of your application.
Please review the below sections carefully and review the frequently asked questions while applying. If you don’t find the answer to your question then contact us.
Applicants should have and be prepared to submit the following items to CAAPID and the School when requested:
National Board Dental Examination Part 1 results
- National Board Part 1 is required and results are captured on the CAAPID application
- You must receive a passing score on NDBE Part 1 to be considered for admission
- Official scores are not requested unless an applicant receives an offer of admission
Letters of Evaluation
- Three letters of evaluation are required and must be submitted electronically by the evaluators directly to CAAPID
- One letter should be from the Dean of the applicant's dental school
- Two letters should be from an instructor or similar individual who is able to evaluate the applicant's dental knowledge, skill, character, and potential for success in the ITDP
- Letters must be on official letterhead
- Additional letters will not be accepted
Official Transcripts and Course-by-Course Evaluation
- Applicants must submit to CAAPID a detailed course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE). We only accept ECE.
- If an applicant receives an offer of admission, we then require official transcripts from the original dental school to be sent directly to the ITDP.
English Language Proficiency (submit to the School)
- Applicants must be proficient in the English language
- Everyone applying to the ITDP must submit a TOEFL score. No waivers or exceptions to be granted.
- We only accept the Internet based TOEFL (iBT)
- TOEFL scores are valid for two years after the test date and must be submitted electronically from ETS to CAAPID by the application deadline.
- The minimum iBT total score is 94
- While we do not have required subscore minimums, we strongly recommend the applicant have the following minimum subscores:
- Reading - minimum score of 24
- Listening - minimum score of 24
- Speaking - minimum score of 26
- Writing - minimum score of 24
Application Fee (to the School)
- The School of Dentistry requires an application fee of $75 (US) which you pay online. Please pay the application fee after you submit your CAAPID application.
- DO NOT send a check or money order to the School of Dentistry. We will only accept application fees paid online.
Certification of Finances (after acceptance)
- If you are admitted to the program and are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you will then need to submit financial certification documents in order for the University of Michigan to issue a student (F1) visa for study.
The University of Michigan will only accept documents that are submitted through CAAPID. We will not accept any documents (letters, certificates, transcripts, etc.) sent directly to the school, with the exception of TOEFL which must be submitted electronically to the University of Michigan at the time of application. After we receive your CAAPID application, we will contact you by email to inform you of the status of your application.