The Oral & Maxillofacial Biopsy Service at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry has been in operation for over 60 years. Oral health care professionals receive diagnoses that are invaluable in planning for the treatment of their patients. In addition, dental, dental hygiene, and graduate students gain the skills to recognize oral lesions and become proficient in diagnosing a range of oral diseases, improving oral health care education at the School of Dentistry.
The Biopsy Service Laboratory is DHHS inspected and CLIA certified. All diagnostic services are provided by our board certified oral and maxillofacial pathologists:
- Theodora Danciu, DMD, DMSc, Director
- Nisha D'Silva, BDS, MSD, PhD
- Peter Polverini, DDS, DMSc
- Eugene Ko, DDS
- Biopsy kits with formalin solution (Zeus/Michel's solution provided for direct immunofluorescence studies)
- UPS prepaid 2-day shipping labels and lab paks
- Pathological diagnoses faxed or mailed within 24 hours of soft tissue specimen receipt, with exceptions for hard tissue, special stains and DIF studies
- Most medical insurance carriers accepted
Please call 1-800-358-1011 if you have any questions or if you would like to request biopsy kits and shipping supplies.
Biopsy Submission Form (2 pages)
Download and print: Biopsy Form.pdf