Master of Science in Dental Hygiene
The University of Michigan (U-M) has the faculty, facilities, and curricular options available to prepare dental hygienists for the future. As the role of the dental hygienist expands, along with changes in education, health care and rapid advances in technology, it is critical to educate master's prepared dental hygienists.
The master’s program is offered in two delivery formats. Students may elect to enroll in the On-Campus Master's Program, participating in a blend of classes on the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus and online. The Online Master’s Program option provides the opportunity for students to earn their master’s degree in a totally online format.
The mission of the dental hygiene graduate program is to provide its students with the educational experiences necessary to become oral health leaders; to conduct research in basic, behavioral and clinical sciences; and to serve the University, the profession, and the community.
- Provide graduates with expanded skills to assume leadership roles in education, community health settings, research, and administration.
- The graduate dental hygiene program prepares students to assume a variety of roles in dental hygiene. The program recognizes the need for its graduates to be prepared to assume leadership in dental hygiene education, changing health care delivery and workforce models as they develop.
- Prepare graduates for faculty positions in dental hygiene programs.
- The American Dental and Dental Hygienists' Association and the America Dental Education Association recognize the increasing need for dental hygiene educators. Today, with an increase in the number of dental hygiene programs and simultaneous retirement of faculty, there remains a growing need for dental hygiene faculty. In 1964, U-M became one of the first dental hygiene programs to offer the MSDH degree, and continues to be a leader in the profession.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in dental hygiene through research and scholarly activity.
- The graduate dental hygiene program provides students with opportunities to gain outstanding research skills through solid methodology preparation and clinical/educational research experiences. Students receive excellent mentorship and exposure to changing technology and research methods, making the University of Michigan one of the foremost programs for dental hygiene translational research.
For more information contact:
Phone: (734) 763-3392 (weekdays between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please specify "On Campus MSDH" or "Online MSDH" in subject line)