Cariology, Restorative Sciences, and Endodontics
School of Dentistry, Room 2391
University of Michigan
1011 N University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078
TEL = 734-763-3366
FAX = 734-936-1597
EMAIL = email@example.com
additional contact information | Research Lab
Mathilde (Tilly) Peters, DMD, PhD, holds the position of tenured Professor in the Department of Cariology, Restorative Sciences, and Endodontics at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
After receiving her dental degree from the University of Nijmegen (currently known as Radboud University) in Nijmegen, the Netherlands in 1975, Dr. Peters joined the Faculty at the Nijmegen School of Dentistry, in Pedodontics and in Cariology & Endodontology while she also worked in the Center for Extended Duties and the School of Dental Service in Nijmegen and surroundings. From the beginning she has been involved in teaching and curricular renewal, implementing an individual-based learning curriculum. As tenured Associate Professor she pursued her research interests in dental biomechanics completing her interdisciplinary PhD in Biomechanics in 1981, while maintaining a part-time faculty practice. After a stay as Fulbright Visiting Scholar at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, (1982), she returned to the University of Nijmegen and established the University Nijmegen Dental Biomechanics Group. In 1991, she spent a year in Minneapolis as the Lasby Visiting Research Professor at the University of Minnesota Dental Research Center for Biomaterials and Biomechanics. After a short return to her Alma Mator in the Netherlands, she moved in 1994 to South Australia where she held the position of Chair of Restorative Dentistry at the University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA, until she returned to the University of Michigan in 1997.
As a principal investigator, she has been supported since 1997 by research grants at the federal (NIH), state and university level, by the Delta Dental Foundation and by industry partners.
Dr. Peters has lectured as an invited speaker in numerous countries being recognized for her work in the field of minimally invasive dentistry and cariology. In 2008 she received the Hollenback Memorial Prize, a life-time achievement award for Research by the Academy of Operative Dentistry.
She has been a member for many years of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR), the Academy of Operative Dentistry (AOD), the European Organization for Caries Research (ORCA) and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA). She is a Fellow of the Academy of Dental Materials (ADM) and of the International College of Dentists (ICD). She was the 2008-2009 President of the Cariology Research Group of the International Association for Dental Research. She serves currently on the Board of Directors of the American Association for Dental Research (AADR).
Core Faculty for Undergraduate Teaching
Director, International Clinical Research Network
Director, CER (Clinical Evaluation of Restorations) Website
Director, Diabetes & Oral Health eLearning
Special Distinctions and Activities [2006-]:
Vice President, Academy of Operative Dentistry (2013-2014)
AADR Board of Directors, American Association for Dental Research [2010-2013]
CGH Faculty Associate, Center for Global Health, School of Public Health, U-M[2010-2012] External Advisory Committee (COBRE-NIH), Sch Dentistry, Louisiana State University, New Orleans [2008-2011]
IADR/CRG President, Cariology Research Group, International Assocation for Dental Research [2008-2009]
International Council, Advisory to the President, U of Michigan [2008-2009]
Hollenback Memorial Prize for Research, Academy of Operative Dentistry . Award Citation: Oper Dent 33(2), 227-228, 2008.
External Biotechnology Advisory Board, Michigan Center for Oral Health Research (now known as the Clinical Research Core), U Michigan [2006-2010]
Over the years Dr. Peters' global clinical research network embraced many cultures. She trained and inspired countless clinical research teams on five continents. In the USA, she is currently involved with clinical research projects in Ann Arbor (MI), Flint (MI), Toledo (OH) and West Point (NY).
Dr. Peters' research is focused on clinical management studies with an emphasis on cariology and minimum intervention dentistry. Current clinical trials concentrate on early intervention of the dental caries process by means of non-invasive, micro-invasive and minimally invasive clinical management. Projects include modification of biofilm environment, remineralization, lesion infiltration and clinical performance of bioactive, ion-releasing restorative materials.
Dr. Peters is involved with pre-doctoral teaching in Clinical Foundation and Cariology with a strong emphasis on minimally invasive dentistry. Recently, she was involved in the Ghana-Michigan CHARTER Project 'Teaching To Make A Difference', where she reached out to assist a newly established dental school in Ghana with its inaugural curriculum. One of her long-term interests is provision of simple sustainable oral health care to underprivileged populations.
Dr. Peters mentored numerous graduate students in restorative dentistry, orthodontics and pediatric dentistry. In addition, she currently guides students and colleagues in projects in areas as varied as Herpes Simplex Labialis (systematic reviews on cold sore prevention and therapy), Access-to-care (Pathway Healthcare Delivery, student outreach) and Efficacy of anesthetic solutions (Articaine).
Dr. Peters is known for her interest in educational technology and the early production of interactive learning modules in dentistry and diabetes. Leading an interdisciplinary research team her most recent educational efforts focused on the development of an e-learning program 'Diabetes and Oral Health' designed for primary healthcare providers. In addition to providing a knowledge update about the links between Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health, the program educates in communication techniques that facilitate dialogue between provider and patient, particularly when limited (oral) health-literacy is a hampering factor.
- Peters MC, Adu-Ababio F, Ananaba Jarrett N, Johnson LA. Teaching to Make a Difference: Initial Investigation of Early Dental Students' Clinical Learning. J Dent Educ 2013; 77:1653-1661.
- Chen CF, Hu CC, Bresciani E, Peters MC, Estrella MR. Outcome assessment of patients with amelogenesis imperfecta who received restorative treatment during the mixed dentition stage. Pediatr Dent [May 2013; In press.]
- Frencken JE, Peters MC, Manton DJ, Leal SC, Gordan VV, Eden E. Minimal Intervention Dentistry (MID) for managing dental caries - a review. Report of a FDI task group. Int Dent J 2012; 62:223-243.
- Chi CC, Wang SH, Delamere FM, Peters MC, Kanjirath PP, Wojnarowska F. Interventions for prevention of herpes simplex lalbralis (cold sores on the lips). (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012:g.Art.No.: CD010095.
- Peters MC, Kanjirath PP, Barros JA. Promote Remineralization. Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 2011;9(10):42-47.
- Lee C, Chi CC, Hsieh SC, Chang CJ, Delamere FM, Peters MC, Kanjirath PP, Anderson PF. Interventions for treatment of herpes simplex labialis (cold sores on the lips) (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011:10. Art. No.: CD009375.
- Valerio MA, Kanjirath PP, Klausner C, Peters MC. A qualitative examination of patient awareness and understanding of type 2 diabetes and oral heath care needs. Diab Res Clin Pract 2011;92(2/3):159-65.
- Brandt RG, Anderson PF, McDonald NJ, Sohn W, Peters MC. Pulpal anesthetic efficacy of articaine versus lidocaine in dentistry: A meta-analysis. J Am Dent Assoc 2011;(5):493-504.
- Richter AE, Arruda AO, Peters MC, Sohn W. Incidence of caries lesions among patients treated with comprehensive orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;139(5):657-664.
- Peters MC, Tallman JA, Braun TM, Jacobson JJ. Clinical reduction of S. mutans in pre-school children using a novel liquorice root extract lollipop: a pilot study. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2010;11(6):274-278.
- Behnan SM, Arruda AO, González-Cabezas C, Sohn W, Peters MC. Editor's Comment and Q&A In-vitro evaluation of various treatments to prevent demineralization next to orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;Dec;138(6):712-3.
- Behnan SM, Arruda AO, González-Cabezas C, Sohn W, Peters MC. In-vitro evaluation of various treatments to prevent demineralization next to orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;Dec;138(6):712.e1-7.
- Gu F, Bresciani E, Barata TJ, Fagundes TC, Navarro MF, Dickens S, Fenno JC, Peters MC. In-vivo acid-etching effect on bacteria within caries affected dentin. Caries Res 2010;44:472-477.
- Hickel R, Peschke A, Tyas M, Mjör I, Bayne S, Peters M, Hiller KA, Randall R, Vanherle G, Heintze S. FDI World Dental Federation - Clinical criteria for the evaluation of direct and indirect restorations. Update an dclinical examples. Clin Oral Investig 2010;14:349-366.
- Hickel R, Peschke A, Tyas M, Mjör I, Bayne S, Peters M, Hiller KA, Randall R, Vanherle G, Heintze S. FDI World Dental Federation - Clinical criteria for the evaluation of direct and indirect restorations. Update an dclinical examples. J Adhes Dent 2010;12:259-272.
- Bresciani E, Wagner WC, Navarro MF, Dickens SH, Peters MC. In vivo dentin microhardness beneath a calcium-phosphate cement. J Dent Res 2010; 89(8):836-841.
- Peters MC. Strategies for non-invasive demineralized tissue repair. In: Current concepts in cariology. Guest Eds: Young DA, Fontana M, Wolff MS. Dent Clin N Amer 2010;54(3):507-525.
- Peters MC, Bresciani E, Barata TJ, Fagundes TC, Navarro RL, Navarro MF, Dickens SH. In vivo dentin remineralization by calcium-phosphate cement. J Dent Res 2010;89(3):286-91.
- Arruda AO, Behnan SM, Richter AE, Peters MC, Sohn W, González-Cabezas C. White-spot lesions in orthodontics: A drawback of the speciality. In: McNamara JA Jr, Kapila SD, eds. Surgical enhancement of orthodontic treatment. Monograph 47, Craniofacial Growth Series, Dept Orthod Pediatr Dent and Ctr for Human Growth and Development, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA 2010;47:367-79.
- Hansma P, Yu H, Schultz D, et al incl Peters M. The tissue diagnostic instrument. Rev Sci instrum 2009;80(5): 054303. also included in: Am Physical Soc and Am Institute of Physics. Virt J Biol Physics Res. 2009 Jun.
- Kanjirath PP, Coplen AE, Chapman JC, Peters MC, Inglehart MR. Effectiveness of gloves and infection control in dentistry: student and provider perspectives. J Dent Educ 2009;73(5):571-80.
- Navarro MF, Rigolon CJ, Barata TJ, Bresciani E, Fagundes TC, Peters MC. Influence of occlusal access on demineralized dentin removal in the atraumatic restoratie treatment (ART) approach. Am J Dent 2008;21(4):251-4.
- Young DA, Featherstone JD, Roth Jr, Anderson M, Autio-Gold J, Christensen GJ, Fontana M, Kutsch VK, Peters MC, Simonsen RJ, Wolff MS. Caries management by risk assessment: implementation guidelines. J Calif Dent Assoc 2007;35(11):799-805.
- Kanjirath PP, Peters MC, Inglehart MR. Treating patients with herpes simplex virus infections: dental and dental hygiene students' knowledge, attitudes, and professional behavior. J Dent Educ 2007;71(9):1133-44.
- Hickel R, Roulet J, Bayne S, Heintze S, Mjör I, Peters M, Rousson V, Randall R, Schmalz G, Tyas M, Vanherle G. Recommendations for conducting controlled clinical studies of dental restorative materials. Science committee Project 2/98--FDI World Dental Federation. Study design (Part I) and criteria for evaluation (Part II) of direct and indirect restorations including onlays and partial crowns. J Adhes Dent 2007;9 Suppl 1:121-47. Review. Erratum in: J Adhes Dent 2007 Dec; 9(6):546.
- Hickel R, Roulet J, Bayne S, Heintze S, Mjör I, Peters M, Rousson V, Randall R, Schmalz G, Tyas M, Vanherle G. Recommendations for conducting controlled clinical studies of dental restorative materials. Int Dent J 2007;57(5):300-2.
- Hickel R, Roulet J, Bayne S, Heintze S, Mjör I, Peters M, Rousson V, Randall R, Schmalz G, Tyas M, Vanherle G. Recommendations for conducting controlled clinical studies of dental restorative materials. Clin Oral Investig 2007;11(1):5-33. Review. Erratum in: Clin Oral Investig 2008 Mar; 12(1):97.
- Inglehart MR, Peters MC, Flamenbaum MH, Eboda NN, Feigal RJ. Chemomechanical caries removal in children: an operator's and pediatric patients' responses. J Am Dent Assoc 2007 Jan;138(1):47-55.
- Peters MC, Flamenbaum MH, Eboda NN, Feigal RJ, Inglehart MR. Chemomechanical caries removal in children: efficacy and efficiency. J Am Dent Assoc 2006;137(12):1658-66; quiz 729-30.
- Chen H, Tang Z, Liu J, Sun K, Chang SR, Peters MC, Mansfield JF, Czaika-Jakubowska A, Clarkson BH. Acellular synthesis of a human enamel-like microstructure. Advanced Mater 2006;18:1846-51.
- Imazato S, Kuramoto A, Takahashi Y, Ebisu S, Peters MC. In vitro antibacterial effects of the dentin primer of Clearfil Protect bond. Dent Mater 2006;22(6):527-32.
Updated on 01/02/2014