Cariology, Restorative Sciences, and Endodontics
School of Dentistry, University of Michigan
1011 N University Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078
EMAIL = firstname.lastname@example.org
additional contact information | 2013 CV
Diplomate, American Board of Public Health Dentistry
George W. Taylor, DMD, MPH, DrPH, is Professor Emeritus at the University of Michigan in the School of Dentistry ealth. He received his DMD degree from Harvard School of Dental Medicine and his MPH and DrPH from the University of Michigan, School of Public Health.
His research focuses on relationships between oral and systemic health, particularly periodontal infection and diabetes. His team's investigations use epidemiological and intervention study designs, as well as secondary data analysis of complex survey data, to investigate the bi-directional relationships between periodontal infection and glycemic control and complications of diabetes. His team also conducts health services research to study the relationship between dental care service utilization and medical care costs for insured individuals who have diabetes and other systemic diseases. His research is funded by NIH/NIDCR, foundations, and industry.
Dr. Taylor is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry and the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Dental Association.
Description of Research Area(s):
Dr. George Taylor is currently principal investigator of NIH-funded research projects including a cohort study on the relationships between periodontal disease, gestational diabetes and adverse pregnancy outcomes; an analysis of NHANES data on the effects of diabetes on dental caries and tooth loss; an analysis of NHANES data on the interrelationships between periodontal disease, diabetes and diabetes complications; and a feasibility study to plan for a national multicenter randomized clinical trial testing whether treating periodontal infection can improve glycemic control in people with type 2 diabetes. He also directs investigations funded by private insurance carrier foundations in Michigan (Delta Dental Fund and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation) to conduct analysis of medical and dental insurance claims data on interrelationships between oral and systemic health and by Straumann Foundation to conduct a clinical trial on the impact of complete mouth extraction of severely periodontally involved teeth and the insertion of implant supported dentures on glycemic control of people with diabetes in Pakistan.
- Borgnakke WS, Ylostalo PV, Taylor GW, Genco RJ. Effect of peridontal disease on diabetes: systematic review of epidemiologic observational evidence. Journal of Clinical Peridontology 2013; 40(Suppl 14): S135-S152.
- Southerland JH, Moss K, Taylor GW, Beck JD, Pankow J, Gangula PR, Offenbacher S. Periodontitis and diabetes associations with measures of atherosclerosis and CHD. Atherosclerosis 2012; (1): 222: 196-201.
- Iwasaki M, Taylor GW, Manz MC, Kaneko N, Imai S, Yoshihara A, et al. Serum antibody to Porphyromonas gingivalis in chronic kidney disease. Journal of Dental Research 2012; 91(9): 828-833.
- Iwasaki M, manz MC, Taylor GW, Yoshihara A, Miyazaki H. Relations of serum ascorbic acid and -tocopherol to periodontal disease. Journal of Dental Research 2012; 91(2): 167-172.
- Albert DA, Ward A, Allweiss P, Graves DT, Knowler WC, Kunzel C, Leibel RL, Novak KF, Oates TW, Papapanou PN, Schmidt AM, Taylor GW, Lamster IB, Lalla E. Diabetes and oral disease: implications or health professionals. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 2012; 1255:1-15. PubMed PMID: 22409777; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3429365.
- Iwasaki M, Taylor GW, Nesse W, Vissink A, Yoshihaa A, Miyazaki H. Periodontal disease and decreased kidney function in Japanese elderly. Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 59(2):202-209. PMID: 22001179.
- Iwasaki M, Taylor GW, Moynihan P, Yoshihara A, Muramatsu K, Watanabe R, Miyazaki H. Dietary ratio of n-6 to n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and periodontal disease in community-based older Japanese: A 3-ear follow-up study. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2011 May 19. [Epud ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21601439.
- Ogawa H, Taylor GW, Miyazaki H. Summary of the International Symposium for Global Oral Health Science Niiagata 2010. Journal of Dental Health 2011 (supplement); 61:111-113.
- Taylor GW, Borgnakke WS. Relationship of periodontal infection to diabetes control and complications. Journal of Dental Health 2011 (supplement); 61:170-177.
- Fisher MA, Taylor GW, West B, McCarthy E. Bidirectional Relationship between Chronic Kidney Disease and Periodontal Disease: Structural Equation Modeling. Kidney Int. 2011; 79:347-355.
- Fisher MA, Borgnakke WS, Taylor GW. Periodontal disease as a risk marker in cardiac and kidney disease. (Invited review). Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2010; 19:519-526.
- Friedewald VE, Kornman KS, Offenbacher S, Beck J, Taylor GW, Borgnakke WS. Periodontitis an dcradiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol 2010; 105:425-428.
- Iwasaki M, Yoshihara A, Moynihan P, Watanabe R, Taylor GW, Miyazaki H. Longitudinal relationship between dietary omega-3 fatty acids and periodontal disease. Nutrition. 2010 Jan 22. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20097537.
Updated on 01/02/2014