Welcome to the Clarkson Lab
Brian H. Clarkson, BChD, MS, PhD
- Synthesis of fluorapatite crystals
We are investigating the effect of fluorapatite (FA) crystals synthesized in our laboratory for: use in tooth desensitizing pastes; as an addition to bleaching agents to prevent enamel surface softening and sensitivity; and grown on stainless steel and porcelain crowns as "enamel-like" coatings.
- Synthesis of fluorapatite coatings for implants
Cellular and molecular studies are on-going to investigate the effects of the FA crystals grow-on metal surfaces as coatings for implants. These crystals can also be mixed with suitable matricies and used in alveolar ridge augmentation and repair of boney defects.
- Use of nano-polymers (dendrimers) for control of wound healing
We are studying the use of dendrimers (nano artificial proteins) functionalized with; cell attachment sequences, anti-inflammatories, vascular inducing molecules etc. attached to the FA coated implant surfaces to enahance, accelerate and control wound healing and boney integration of implants.
- "Growing" the crown of a tooth
Stainless steel crowns coated with the FA crystals on their fitting surfaces are being "filled" with a matrix plus dental pulp stem cells to produce a dentin / enamel complex in the shape of the corwn of a tooth.
Harrison Chang, BS, MS
Jun Liu, MS, PhD
- Liu J, Jin TC, Chang S, Czajka-Jakubowska A, Clarkson BH. Adhesion and growth of dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) on enamel-like fluorapatite (FA) surfaces. J Biomed Mater Res A. 98(3):528-534, 2011.
- Liu J, Jin TC, Chang S, Czajka-Jakubowska A, Zhang Z, Nör JE, Clarkson BH. The effect of novel fluorapatite (FA) surfaces on osteoblast-like cell adhesion, growth and mineralization. Tissue Eng Part A. 16(9):2977-2986, 2010.
- Clarkson BH, Roger JM. Dental Education turned upside down. J Dent Res 89:106-107, 2010.
- Czajka-Jakubowska AE, Liu J, Chang SR, Clarkson BH. The effect of the surface characteristics of various substrates on fluorapatite crystal growth, alignment, and spatial orientation. Med Sci Monit 15(6):84-88, 2009.
- Al-Jawad M, Fragneto G, Liu J, Chang SR, Clarkson BH. Fibronectin adsorption studied using neutron reflectometry and complementary techniques. European Physical Journal E 30(2):175-179, 2009.
- Clarkson BH. Change J Dent Res Jun;87(6):510, 2008.
- Clarkson BH. Fluoride - understanding its mechanism of action. Orthodontic Forum 85(4):154-162, 2007.
- Czajka-Jakubowska AE, Clarkson BH. Cariology: the future. Invited Review. J Ped Neonatal 32:1-4, 2007.
- Chen H, Wood S, Chang SR, Czajka-Jakubowska A, Clarkson BH. Synthesis of fluorapatite (FA) nanorods and surfaces. Pol J Environ Sudies 16(2):279-282, 2007.
- Liu J, Jin TC, Chang S, Ritchie HH, Smith AJ, Clarkson BH. Marix and TGF-beta-related gene expression during human dental pulp cell mineralization. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim Mar-Apr; 43(3-4):120-128, 2007 [Epub 2007 May 22].
- Czajka-Jakubowska A, Chen H, Clarkson BH. A new generation of microscope for imaging biological samples. Dental Forum 34(1):9-14, 2006.
- Lee L-R, Liu J, Clarkson BH, Lin C-P, Godovikova V, Richie HH. Dentin-pulp comoplex responses to carious lesions. Caries Research 4(3):254-264, 2006.
- Chen H, Robinson C, Shore RC, Brookes SJ, Zhang J, Smith DA, Clarkson BH, Kirkham J. Nanoscale analysis of bone mineral crystals. Nanotech 2006.
- Chen H, Tang Z, Liu J, Sun K, Chang SR, Peters M, Mansfield J, Czajka-Jakubowska A, Clarkson BH. Acellular synthesis of a human enamel-like microstructure. Advanced Mater (18):1846-1851, 2006b.
- Chen H, Czaika-Jakuboska A, Spencer NJ, Mansfield JF, Robinson C, Clarkon BH. Effects of systematic fluoride an din vitro fluoride treatment on enamel crystals. J Dent Res 85(11):1042-1045, 2006.