Dr. James Avery, DDS
Biologic & Materials Sciences
James K. Avery, professor of dentistry, retired from active faculty status after a distinguished University career on September 1, 1991. A native of Colorado, Dr. Avery took his undergraduate studies at the University of Colorado and then gained a D.D.S. degree at the University of Kansas City in 1945. After a tour of active service as a Lieutenant in the Navy, he further completed a B.A. degree in 1948 and a Ph.D. in anatomy in 1952 at the Medical School of the University of Rochester. After a postdoctoral year at Rochester, he joined the faculty of the University of Michigan as an assistant professor of dentistry in 1954. He was promoted to associate professor in 1959 and to professor in 1963. He was also appointed as professor of anatomy in the Medical School in 1971. Throughout his career he has contributed to teaching, service and research in both schools. He also has held important administrative positions in the School of Dentistry, including chair of the Department of Oral Biology. He was a member of the executive committee at the School of Dentistry from 1962 to 1965, the program director of the Multi-Basic Science Training Program at the Dental School from 1970 to 1982, and was chair of the Department of Oral Biology from 1977 until 1986. He was a consultant to the Public Health Service for the National Institute of Dental Research Training Committee from 1964 to 1968. Dr. Avery also served as consultant to the Scientific Sessions from 1960 to 1970, to the Council on Dental Education and the Commission on Accreditation from 1975 to 1979 of the American Dental Association. He is a past president of the International Association for Dental Research and past Chairman of the American Association of Dental Schools Anatomical Sciences section. Dr. Avery also served as consultant on research to the Veterans Administration Hospital of Ann Arbor. He was a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee from 1968 to 1970 and to the Executive Committee of the Dental Research Institute from 1968 to 1973. In 1970 he was appointed associate director of the Institute and was promoted to director and served in this capacity until 1987. Dr. Avery received The Academy of Dental Medicine Award, was elected a fellow of the American College of Dentistry, and a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He is a member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon and was President of the University of Michigan Chapter of Sigma Xi. Dr. Avery received the Pulp Biology Award from the International Association for Dental Research in 1986. He has been active in research and has been funded by the National Institutes of Health and other agencies throughout his career at the University of Michigan. He is currently funded by the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation and will continue research in this area. His interests are in growth and development, an area in which he has over 130 publications. He also has written and edited three textbooks in this area.