In 1959 The Francis B. Vedder Society was founded as a postgraduate professional organization dedicated to the study of problems related to crown and bridge prosthodontics. The Society, named in honor of Dr. Francis B. Vedder, an educator, clinician, and chairman of the Crown and Bridge Department of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
Today, with over 350 members, the Society holds educational meetings twice each year and attracts illustrious lecturers from around the world.
Biography of Fransis B. Vedder
Dr. Vedder was born in Rushville, IL in 1882. He entered the University of Michigan in 1912 and graduated from LS&A in 1916.
Fransis Vedder worked summers selling flower and garden seeds for D.M. Ferry Co., Detroit and graduated from the University of Michigan Dental School in 1925. He married Freda and had two daughters, Anne and Mary.
Dr. Vedder was named Chairman of the University of Michigan Department of Crown and Bridge in 1934. He retired July 1, 1962 and died November 9th of that year.
Francis Vedder was a charter member of the American Academy of Crown and Bridge Prosthodontics, now named the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics, founded in 1952. He was elected the seventh president of that organization in 1959.